Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Kitchen: Before and After-ish

When I first saw the kitchen, the clutter and flower-tiled floors scared me, but I did initally love the size of it. The bones of the kitchen were good (a term I now know thanks to Property Brothers :)). The cabinets themselves were in great shape, and the counter tops were white which I could definitely live with. But as you can see in these pictures below, there were still some changes that had to be made to this space. (my awesome husband not being one of them :))


The first thing we did was paint all of the walls that were covered in wall paper. In all the other rooms we took off the wall paper before painting, but we decided to just try painting over it and it worked great (although it needed a few coats). I originally wanted something more neutral, like a gray or beige, but my daring husband helped me get out of that neutral comfort zone and go with his choice of this pretty blue. I am very happy I went with his idea ;)
The second thing we did, which made such a HUGE difference in a matter of 20 minutes, was changing the handles on the cabinets. We sampled a few different types of handles and this was one was hands down our favorite. It immediately gave the kitchen a more modern feel and a nice clean look.

The last thing we did, and are still doing, is changing the floor. We waited for a few months to tackle this project and were so happy once we started it. We used these tiles, which were simply peel and stick. We're still working on the small crevices under the cabinets and doors, which we just have to measure and cut. We used 5 boxes of tiles which totaled to around $120: a relatively cheap makeover. These tiles certainly gave the kitchen a much newer look, something pink flower-ed tiles never could.


Sometime in the future, we hope to get an island to put right in the middle of the kitchen, which will create more counter and storage space. If you're looking for a reasonably priced island, I would suggest looking at Target, Big Lots, or Overstock.com
Another "must" is changing out the interesting light fixture. We bought a replacement fan from Lowe's about 5 months ago, but just haven't gotten someone to come switch it out for us.

Well, hope you enjoyed this and found something that will help you fix-up in your humble abode. Remember, if me and my sweets could fix up this kitchen, then you most certainly can fix up yours :)


1 comment: